The easiest way to edit the top navigation menu is to add/edit product categories under catalog > manage categories
A category can be set to show either products, CMS content, or both
1) So say you want to have a top navigation menu called “About Us” make a new category with that name
2) Then make a new CMS static block with that name
3) Then under the edit category page set that category to show only CMS content
There is also a more complex method described below:
If you are comfortable using ftp and a text editor, then follow the steps below:
To add a link to the top menu where the categories list out: say you want to link to a CMS page or some other link
1. The process is basically to open the file: /public_html/app/design/frontend/base/default/template/page/html/top.links.phtml
From there you’ll want to find the <?php echo $_menu ?> tag and paste something like:
<li class=”level0”><a href=”http://linktomypage.com/newpage”><span>My Page</span></a></li>
or for a home link:
<li class=”<?php echo !$_anyActive ? ‘active’ : ” ?>”><a href=”<?php echo $this->getUrl(”)?>”><?php echo $this->__(‘Home’) ?></a></li>
If you want it before the categories then put it before the <?php echo $_menu ?> code, if you want it after then put it after this code.
2. Now go to your admin Create a static page in Magento under CMS > Pages with newpage as the link and you’re good to go. If you are not linking to a CMS page then ignore this step.
If you want to add a link to where you see the my wishlist and my account links, the file to edit is app/design/frontend/base/default/template/page/template/links.phtml
Also, for changes to show up make sure you clear your site cache under system > cache management.